15 September 2008

QUESTION AND ANSWER TIME
Susan asks via e-mail:
"would you agree with the cumulative statement that Japanese people are sincere in their mannerisms? Like how we say please and thank you…only we just say it because we are 'supposed to' you know, to keep up the public image…well, have you found that Japanese people mean their polite comments?"
The best answer I can give is that the sincerity of anyone's mannerisms depends solely on the individual, but it does seem like the Japanese do these kinds of things sooner and more often in any given situation. That's probably not a satisfying answer, but I'm largely incapable of gauging Japanese intentions. I have trouble enough reading Americans.

Emi asks:
"you wouldn't happen to know what the size requirements were on your luggage, do you?"
Airlines probably have different policies, but Air Canada's rules for international travel were as follows:
1 personal size bag, max 6" x 13" x 17", 22lbs
1 carry on bag, max 9" x 15.5" x 21.5", 22lbs
2 checked bags, height + width + length, 50lbs. (This is a lie. It was 47.5 or some BS like that and I had to pay 100 bucks.)
Measure your bags after you stuff them, 'cause they definitely gain a few inches around the waist after a hearty meal of clothing and souvenirs.

Bryan asks:
"How do you walk the streets without women crawling all over you, you bloody sexy beast?"
Easily.

Tom says:
"That whole manly thing is kinda surprising. You'd think with all the super manly-man characters they put in their anime/manga/movies/etc that boasting about your manliness would be more.. potent?"
It's just that their English ability is such that the English word "man" (or its Japanese equivilent, otoko) isn't/can't be used in a way that means RAWRR MANLY MAN HAIRY CHEST. It just doesn't have the same connotation. Connotation! That's what I was looking for. It's ridiculously hard to be able to pick up connotation in foreign languages. To them, "man" means "male." Surely they have other ways to express RAWRR MANLY MAN HAIRY CHEST in their language. (Minus the hairy chest. Seems like Japanese dudes under 35 are all smooth.)

Susan also asks via e-mail:
"Tons of homework??? Hard homework? Hard homework like 'I'm taking AP classes in sophomore year' hard? Or just, I actually have to put some thought into this, unlike German and other subjects that are created so you can pass them?"
So far, it hasn't been very hard. This will change.
"Like how much free time would you say you have a day? Clearly the schedule is posted, but I'm sure your business depends on the day. So what do you do? Roam the streets of Japan?"
Several hours per day, for now. This will change, too, I expect. So far, it's been mostly errand-running or wandering the city with other foreign exchange students. I haven't really been mingling with the populace and practicing much Japanese. In that regard, so far it's been a little disappointing on that front. This will change.

Everything will change!

1 comment:

bizzie said...

Have you found a girl you can marry and work on her dad's farm yet?